Thursday, January 1, 2009

RIng out the old, bring on the new....

Happy New Year! It's the beginning of a new year, and I realize I haven't written for over a month. Perhaps because there hasn't been much to write about, although I'm sure I could have found something: icestorms escaped (we were in Michigan when the one hit in New Hampshire, and vice versa), travels to New York and Las Vegas (where I attended a fantastic conference on executive coaching), looking for a job, etc.

Bottom line, as the year ends and a new one begins, I'm still feeling like I'm "in transition." Looking back, it's been a pretty strange year.


  • Other than a little consulting here and there, I haven't worked for the first time since I was 15 years old. Initially, I enjoyed the time off, but now I'm eager to get back and do something meaningful.


  • I haven't forgotten as much Japanese as I thought (as I studied intensively for a proficiency exam in December).

  • At times I still miss India. I may go back this winter since my sister-in-law will be teaching there.


  • Despite having more time to work out (which I did), I gained 12 pounds. Feel a bit like Oprah in that respect: how did this happen? Definitely want to reverse that and then some in 2009.


  • I attended Vipassana in the spring and discovered that meditation is a big key to my equilibrium. I will likely do this in one form or another the rest of my life.

  • Ditto yoga. Although I've been spotty at going to the yoga studio the last few months, I faithfully do several poses every morning, courtesy of the Wii Fit. Gets my circulation going and clears my mind for the day.


  • I'm no longer a vegetarian. I don't go wild over meat, but I do enjoy it a few times a week. (hope this isn't related to #4 above.....)

  • Have spent a lot more time at our place in Keene. Really love it here. Many times when we return to Detroit I feel a drain on my energy--no surprise given the dismal environment.


  • As the year begins, there is a lot to be grateful for: family, health, my dad still being with us, the bright future of a new and dynamic president.....I'm looking forward to 2009.

No comments: